Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Naked Chorizo: SoMa StrEat Park

Hi All!
It's Tuesday May 7th, 3rd day working in Naked Chorizo. Originally we were supposed to be working at Palace of Fine Arts, but they cancelled for some reason, so we got a last minute spot for lunch and dinner at the SoMa StrEat Food Park. I only worked lunch today, which was from 11am-3pm. It was a pretty relaxed day...which I was extremely thankful for!

Last night was a late one, which I will talk about now. We were in downtown San Mateo at the Urban Table FM event serving dinner from 4-8:30. Now, just because we were serving food for only 4 hours definitely does not mean that we were only working for 4 hours. People don't realize how much time is actually put in to a food truck! I had to show up at Pacifica (where the truck lives) at 2:30 to help prep; this meant making salsa, meat, rice, getting propane, etc. From there, we drove the truck to San Mateo and set up for dinner. I got to ride in the food truck and it was the most exciting thing ever! Pots and pans were kind of falling all over the place, but Rikki (truck driver/chef) didn't seem to think anything of it.
Serving dinner was fun. There was a good amount of people, but it wasn't overwhelming like it was on Cinco de Mayo. I got to work with another girl, Nikka, and she taught me how to prepare most of the dishes. I can now roll a burrito like a master!
Probably the best part about working at Urban Table FM was how much free food we got. So many trucks kept coming up to us and bringing us free frozen custard, free meat pies, free kettle corn (MY FAVORITE), and free chocolate fondue! It was a really nice way to get to know the other food truck workers too. It's truly a huge community, and people keep coming up to our truck because they've all heard about this "new intern" working at Naked Chorizo. They're as excited about me working in a food truck as I am!
Honey graham frozen custrard
"Peter" himself delivered this to me!!! 
Once the event was over and trucks began packing up, our night certainly was not. Every night after working, we have to take the truck to the Commissary, which is where all trucks are required to go to wash dishes, clean out floors, dump out trash, etc. We had to drive about 15 minutes to get there, and upon arrival there was a surprising amount of other food trucks there as well, doing the same thing. We emptied the entire truck of all the day's pots and pans, and Nikka and I went inside the building to wash dishes. Rikki swept the floors and washed the entire truck out with a hose. We finished cleaning everything out by around 10:15pm. Of course I checked my phone for the first time all day, and got an anxious text from my mother asking if I was almost done working, and if she should leave some leftovers out on the counter for me. I replied and said I was full from all the free food, but not to worry!
Ah, the life of a food-trucker.
Rikki dropped me off back in Pacifica where my car was, and I drove home. I didn't get back until 11pm, and then I realized how lucky I was that Zenia wasn't having me to go the Commissary every single night. I'm going back on Thursday, but I have tonight and tomorrow night off. Thank goodness!
I'm excited for tomorrow though. We're working at the Hiller Aviation Mueseum and Zenia won't stop talking about it--she says it's a really fun event to work, and usually the line doesn't stop for 3 hours.

My main concern at the moment is how I'm going to make it back in time for my dentist appointment at 3:30. I'd rather be Naked Chorizo--ing!
Me with Zenia's two nieces, who are visiting from the Phillipines

No comments:

Post a Comment